Los Angeles based stage/screen actress
musician + digital creative
Kate is a stage & screen actress, musician, and creator based in Los Angeles.
She creates music videos and comedic sketches under the alias of weasleysweaters, her Harry Potter superfan alter-ego. Her videos - ranging from Harry Potter themed musical parodies to original songs - have been seen by millions.
As a singer-songwriter, she performs her live music around Los Angeles. She just finished up a residency at Molly Malone's, and will be performing at the Mar Vista Art Walk (September 7). A classically trained musician, she accompanies her vocals with piano & guitar. She is currently in development of her EP.
She has appeared onstage in classical + contemporary theatre productions in New York, D.C., and Los Angeles. She has worked in independent film, most notably appearing in a Shakespearean short film that was an official selection at the Stratford-upon-Avon 'Shakespeare on Film Festival.' She trained overseas in London and studied Stanislavsky + Chekhov in Russia at the St. Petersburg Theatre Arts Academy (through the O'Neill's National Theater Institute).
She recently shot the CBS pilot The Get, a 1-hour drama by Bridget Carpenter (Friday Night Lights, 11.22.63) with Amy Brenneman and Brad Garrett. Kate plays Smart Girl Intern.
Currently, she's snapchatting for the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media: IfSheCanSeeIt.
After receiving messages from young girls when her Harry Potter videos went viral, Kate began to realize the impact of media on young people. She's proud to represent an organization dedicated to the idea of:
If she can see it, she can be it!
So far, Kate has covered the Institute at:
- The Global Symposium on Gender in Media held at Google Venice
- The Fox Women in Sports Event held at the Fairmount Hotels & Bungalows
- The Eagle Huntress screening hosted by Sony Pictures Classics
- CBS Entertainment Diversity Event: Inclusion Beyond Acceptance
- The Geena Davis Institute Holiday Fundraiser
- The Ford + Geena Davis Institute #ShesGotDrive Campaign Launch at YouTubeSpace LA
All videos can be viewed on the Geena Davis Facebook - and on Snapchat: IfSheCanSeeIt
[Kate also uploads the snapchat stories directly to her own channel & personal snapchat: totallykato]
- on instagram: @katherineparkin
- working for the e-merging technologies firm Revyrie :: she develops apps (UI / UX developer)
Some Magical Facts:
- plays piano, guitar, flute, and ukulele
- alumni of Ithaca College & The Eugene O'Neill Theater Center's National Theater Institute
- spot her in Pitch Perfect's "Cups/When I'm Gone" by Anna Kendrick -- directed by Jason Moore. She sang her magical version, "When I'm With Ron," from the perspective of a lovesick Hermione Granger at the audition
- worked on digital marketing for the documentary Equal Means Equal
- while living in London, she interned at The Orange Tree Theatre, assisting with the Shakespeare Education & Outreach program
- trained in Russia at the St. Petersburg Theatre Arts Academy
Some Happy Reviews :)
"If there was ever a video designed to make the Internet explode from joy, this is it." - The Los Angeles Times
"YouTube genius Kate Parkin combined two great tastes that taste more than great together — Taylor Swift and Harry Potter, to be exact — to brew the perfect parody potion." -MTV
"Among the talented cast, the young lovers particularly stand out: Kate Parkin as Helena...Parkin’s body language is wonderfully expressive and her denunciation of Hermia is particularly passionate." -Los Angeles Stage and Cinema, Midsummer Night's Dream at The Odyssey Theatre
Backstage at The Odyssey Theatre - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Managed by Darlene Kaplan Entertainment. Represented by SMS Talent, Inc.